St. James Roman Catholic Church
Welcome to the home page of St. James Roman Catholic Church of Setauket, New York! This site provides up-to-date information about our parish, including Mass schedules, calendars of events, ministry information, and the latest bulletin.
News (Updated March 4th with any new items in red)
REMINDER: Church Renovations. Please be aware that the church will be undergoing renovations from February 17 through April 4. During this time the church building will be closed, and Masses will be celebrated in the parish center at the regular times. Anyone interested in taking a pew is more than welcome. For more details and to make a donation to support the renovations, please see the letter that Fr. Bob sent recently: page 1, page 2, page 3.
- Parish 2013 Financial Summary. Please note that a summary of the parish's financial status for 2013 is now available for reading. Bottom line: the parish is in good financial health!
- Ash Wednesday Services. On Wednesday, March 5th we gather to begin our forty days of preparation for Easter. Ashes will be distributed after the 8:00 am and 12 noon Masses and at Services of Prayer at 5:00 and 8:00 pm. All of these will be celebrated in the parish center. Also on Ash Wednesday: A Supper of Soup and Bread, sponsored by Bread for the World in Rooms 101 / 102 in the parish center from 5:30 through 7:30 pm. An excellent way to begin the season: fasting and remembering those less fortunate than ourselves.
Rosary Altar Society Meeting. On Tuesday, March 4th at 12:00 pm in the Parish Center. Recitation of the Rosary with meeting to follow with a light luncheon served. Speaker: Debbie Smith, representative from the L.I. Coalition for Life.
- Lenten Afternoon of Reflection. On Sunday, March 9th from 1:00 - 4:00 pm, we'll be privileged to welcome Sr. Maria Pascuzzi, C.S.J. - a top-rate scripture scholar. Sr. Maria's done a great deal of study, teaching and writing on the works of St. Paul, and will lead us in an afternoon of refection and conversation as we begin the Season of Lent. She'll offer two presentations with a time for small group conversation or quiet reflection. There'll also be a time for the sharing of company and refreshments between the presentations.
God is Bigger than Elvis. All are invited to come view the documentary about Sr. Dolores Hart, formerly a successful actress who played opposite of Elvis. The movie will be shown on Saturday, March 22nd at 7:30 pm and again on Sunday, March 23rd at 1:00 pm in room 101 of St James Parish Center. The movie runs 60 minutes in length. A 15-minute short film called Fishers of Men will also be shown. The event is free and refreshments will be provided. If there are questions, please contact Jeanine Morelli at 631-246-9630.
- Parish Lenten Retreat. Inner Peace of Divine Love - a retreat in daily life.
Come, begin a guided journey this Lent and deepen your relationship with God!
Attendance every Monday evening in Lent, 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
and 35 minutes of daily prayer with required retreat book
(The First Spiritual Exercises by Michael Hansen, SJ) Dates: March 10, 17, 24, 31, April 7. Closing- April 28. Please see the bulletin for more details.
- Monthly Rosary Walk. First Saturday of every month (weather permitting) Remaining dates for 2014: 3/1, 4/5, 5/3, 6/7, 7/5, 8/2, 9/6, 10/4, 11/1 & 12/6. Meet by the tabernacle after the 8:00 am Mass. Honor Mary on this special day of reparation by joining your fellow parishioners in prayer, song and exercise! Wear comfortable clothing and shoes and be prepared to walk at least 2 miles.
- Annual 5K Run/Walk. Saturday, June 7th at 9:00 a.m. (rain or shine!) Race packet pick-up will take place in the church parking lot from 7:30 - 8:45 a.m. Please donate a non-perishable item (toiletries greatly appreciated) for the Soup Kitchen. Delicious post-race breakfast and awards ceremony will be held in the parish center immediately following the race. Please see the Registration Form for more details.